03 February 2007

Youth, Skill, Old Age, Treachery and Knees

As I have no doubt prattled on about previously in this blog, I study the martial art Aikido, I had to take a break from it because I managed to get tendonitis in my patellar tendons. This is problematic in Aikido for 2 reasons, first of all getting ones ass up off the mat after one has been tossed to the mat requires quadricep strength and knee extension. Second of all, Aikido features suwari waza, or technique done from kneeling. Yep, even on my knees I'm dangerous. So I'd not return to Aikido even as my knees started to get better and I miss it. So I called and spoke to one of the sempai down there (sempai are senior students) and said that I'm going to have to give up suwari waza and was delighted to learn that this would not be a problem.

So I've got my gi in the laundry and my hakama folded and ready to roll. My weapons are bagged and ready to travel. Yeeha.

No comments: