03 December 2006

State of Mind

...our state of mind is crucial in determining whether or not we gain joy and happiness. So leaving aside the perspective of Dharma practice, even in worldly terms, in terms of our enjoying a happy day-to-day existence, the greater the level of calmness of our mind, the greater our peace of mind, and the greater our ability to enjoy a happy and joyful life. Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

I'm finding my equanimity challenged of late, not unusually for me I'm somewhat less than enamored by the 'holiday' season. Not loving the shorter days much either. I know I need to fire up the bright lights, make more of an effort to get outside when it's still light out and so forth. And most importantly be mindful and choose to be calm in my mind - my occasional diatribes into the stupidity I encounter at work are the exceptions, of course.

It can be kind of challenging to resist the darkness, especially because for so long I embraced darkness, not noticing that I had other choices.

No comments: