30 December 2006

Necessity, Not the Only Mother of Invention

As previously chronicled in this blog, I have three cats. Although, periodically they get up to loud, thundering mischief that makes it seem as if there are more than three of them. Because of previous, expensive antics of these characters around my toilets I'm quite fanatical about the lids being shut after each use. I have noticed recently that there's always at least one shadowing me during any venture to the land of excretion. This morning both boys cornered me for pets in the powder room. And now I know why, this morning after I deposited some coffee, levered my not inconsiderable backside off the pot and hear a small splash as I flushed. Of course, it's a game of volleymouse! With the well oiled grace of a jungle cat, I spun on my heel to see a toy mouse disappearing down the drain. Thinking quickly I thrust my hand into the cool recesses of the bowl to snag the mouse. But too late and now it's too stuck. Fortunately, I have an industrial strength plunger so I do manage to send the mouse toy further on its way to oblivion.

I understand that the cats might be bored, this is why I'm thinking boredom needs to receive more credit as the mother of invention.

Damn cats.

No comments: