What does it say about me that I wanted to call in sick to work to go to Ithaca for a hunger strike? And then what does it say that I won't do it?
I've been to Buddha Camp with these folks and they're good souls. Being around the monks was truly one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Anyway, more about them here Namgyal Ithaca
Dear Students and Friends,
The Namgyal Venerable Monks, along with the Tibetan Association of Ithaca, will be leading a two-day Tibetan Sympathetic and Solidarity Hunger Strike on May 16 – 17, 2008, in honor of Tibetans who have lost their lives, those who still suffer under Chinese rule for the cause of Tibetan freedom, and to further raise awareness and highlight the urgent need for the following actions in Tibet:
· The opening of a concrete dialogue between His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Chinese government
· The United Nations sending an independent international envoy to fully investigate the human rights situation in Tibet
· The Chinese government allowing doctors and medical equipment into Tibet, extending immediate care to those in need of medical attention
· The Chinese government releasing all monks and lay persons currently imprisoned for engaging in human rights protests in Tibet
· The Chinese government ending the killings and torture of innocent Tibetans throughout the whole of Tibet
· The Chinese government allowing international media into Tibet, for unobstructed free press throughout the whole of Tibet
The Namgyal Venerable Monks and Tibetan Association members will be at the Ithaca Commons, Center Pavilion, from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM on Friday and Saturday, May 16 & 17, where they will be engaged in meditation, prayers for the cause of Tibetan freedom and world peace, and dedication prayers for those who have passed in the struggle for a free Tibet. Namgyal students, friends and community members are welcome to participate in each full-day 12-hour fast, or for any amount of time throughout each day of the two-day Tibetan Sympathetic and Solidarity Hunger Strike.
With warm regards,
Venue: Ithaca Commons, Center Pavilion
Time: Friday May 16th, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Saturday May 17th, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM