19 October 2006

Bureacracy

The point of bureacracy is to be self-sustaining, I'm convinced of it. I know I was taught that it was to provide due process at all levels of governmental interaction, but really it's to be self-sustaining. Picture it, the data processing queen whirls up here to present me a check for $850.57 that is made out to, wait for it, nobody. After Pay to the Order of:, we have a plethora of blank space. As you might imagine this pleases me not at all. So I have to go around barking because this kind of idiocy is why computer programmers have to be clever enough to think of ways to make things idiot resistant. System generated checks with blank payees should simply not be. (yup, more should all over my footwear.) In order to issue a check made payable to someone (and in a perverse turn of events this poor soul is deceased so he'd not have been able to cash the check even were it made out properly.) I have to stop payment on the check, the online system to stop payment on the check requires a payee, soooooooo, I've gotta call the brain trust in Charlotte where for 20 minutes I get ma'amed within an inch of my wit's end about 'our system limitations'. Until patience leaves me and I say "dude, have you got a manual system? Yes, ma'am. Good, try that. Yes, ma'am." It alarms me that only I seemed to have the animal cunning to suggest that solution and we are paying them.

No comments: