19 October 2006

Nemesis

Despite this well-worn air of serenity I tend to give off, from time to time I do get fired up. Especially at work. There’s a lot there to get a girl fired up. My current nemesis is the scheduler, a/k/a that seat sniffing moron. For us to work the magic that we work, it requires a strict schedule that is well planned, oh and makes some sense. We cannot schedule processing activities for weekends, or holidays, because we don’t work weekends or holidays. So someone has got to be fairly conversant in how to read the list of holidays provided on the calendar and of course, one must be able to read and comprehend a calendar. One might think that these would be a desirable skill set for someone whose only productive activity would be writing a schedule for the year.

We issue what we call standard checks the first of each month, then each month we have floating pay dates that we call nonstandard. Nonstandard dates have few requirements, the 1st being that the checks are not dated the first and the second being that no processing events are scheduled for Saturday, Sunday or holidays. So it’s not bad enough that he has nonstandard checks dated 1 May and 1 August but we are running a calculation on the 4th of July. So I had to tell the scheduler, I think fucking not. He doesn’t seem to realize that it’s not up for discussion, nor is it ever prudent to argue with me about this. Which invariably leads to a battle royale, a) because I’m a bitch and b) because I ought not have to babysit this douchebag or listen to his excuses. Just fix the fucking thing, man. And do not let me find any other fuckups in this schedule. Fortuitously for me, my boss’s modus operandi is, if Skull is happy then I’m happy. If Skull is not happy, then we must fix that. Or she's going to hurt someone.

No comments: