09 February 2008

Random Ponderings

There is so much astir in the world today, war in Iraq and Afghanistan, breathtaking incompetence in Washington and Trenton, presidential campaigns and most of my focus and energy remains (as it has for the past year) on cat pee. Deep background, I have 3 cats, they were all adopted out of 'strayhood' Puppy D was first among the cats that chose me to be her foodchik and I have served as such for nearly 10 years. Stripe J was the second, I got him as a 2lb 6 week old kitten and now he is an 18lb 8 year old menace with urinary tract issues. Sharkbutt came to me as a 12 week old 5 lb kitten and he's been around for 3 years. So Puppy D and Sharkbutt are (knockwood) bomb proof. Every once in a while we get a little hairball action and that's that.

Stripe is a whole 'nother story. One fine summer afternoon I came home to find him on his back penis distended unable to get up. I said to myself, self, this is not bad. Especially he was panting and not in a way that one necessarily associates with a distended penis. So I crated him off to the cat ER where it was determined his ureter was blocked. He stayed in for 4 days and $800 and 2 chewed catheters and 3 baths later he came home. Last winter I came home to not be able to find Stripe, normally Stripe would be more aptly named Suppository because he is always up my ass. So I go in search of himself, hear him yowling and stuck on his back with penis distended and we whirl off to the cat ER, 1 week and 2 grand later he comes home with prescription food and me with a twitch.

So now, I'm fiendish in my observation of his behavior, too much grooming of the nethers puts me into a state of heightened awareness, as does any kind of yowling. In addition to the prescription foods, he's also on cat gatorade which would be more familiar to you as chicken broth.

With all the unrest in the world today, I'm kind of grateful that my main consuming worry is Stripe and the mystery of can he pee.

4 comments:

Identity Mixed said...

People told us that we would be shocked about how much of your life revolves around bodily fluids once you have children. Um, children? How about pets?

For 5 years before we had kids, the last words my husband and I spoke to each other before heading off to work were, "The dog did [or didn't] poop."

Scullery Dog Sam said...

My mom too is now obsessed with cat pee, because my cat (who is 12) has dog arthritis and is on steroids. The vet actually called and asked her about his pee - how much, etc ... and which he does A LOT. So she's taken to counting the litter bombs. Today there were at least 8 she said (while I begged for the empty cat food can). She said that it's better than counting super delegates because THAT depresses her right now.
Sniffin' butts,
sds

Shark Butt said...

Excretion - not just a bodily function it's an obsession. And not a fun one.

Shazza said...

Fun times SB!

We have a dog with colitis, we have come home often to see "presents" on the floor.

Hope Stripe feels better soon.